To focus your mind on the significance of the Lord’s Supper,
remember the number:
FIVE–the number of times our Lord’s body was pierced.
- Four nails pierced his hands and feet to pin Him to the cross.
- The sword pierced His side. (John 19:34)
FOUR–the number of parts into which His clothes were divided. (John 19:23-24)
- The division of His clothes and the casting of lots for His robe were prophesied. (Psalm 22:16-18)
- All that happened to Him was planned from the beginning. (I Pet. 1:20, Rev. 13:8)
THREE–the number of crosses.
- One man dying for sins, one repentantly dying to sin, and one rebelliously dying in sin. (Luke 23:39)
- Today, we are like one of the “other two.”
TWO–the number of eternal destinies.
- Heaven and hell. (John 5:28-29)
- The worse destiny would have been ours without the events we remember during the Lord’s Supper. (Rom. 3:23)
ONE–the uniqueness of the gift that the Father gave.
- He gave His “only begotten” Son. (John 3:16, I John 4:10, Rom. 8:32)
- He gave something precious to Him.